I know it’s been a couple of weeks since I told you I’d post my bread bowl recipe. My apologies. I’m still waiting to make it for my sister; we’ve been delayed several times due to snow! If nothing else, I’ll post it next week.
I did make this Taco Bake this week though. I modified it slightly from the recipe I found over at The Country Cook. (Don’t confuse this with Taco Pie–it’s completely different!) It’s pretty quick and easy to make, though I don’t recommend sticking it in the oven before you have to pick up one of your kids from track practice…just sayin’. We barely made it home in time to get it out of the oven!
And if your family is as large as (and eats as much as!) mine, you’ll want to double this recipe. But it’s perfect by itself for 2-3 people.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- water (as called for on the back of the taco seasoning)
- 3 large flour tortillas if you like the breaded edges (medium if you want the entire surface covered)
- 1/2 c. salsa con queso
- 2 c. shredded mexican cheese blend
Here’s what you do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the taco meat using the instructions on the taco seasoning.
- When the taco meat is ready, remove from heat.
- Add salsa con queso, stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Spray 8-inch round baking pan (for medium tortillas) or pie plate (for large tortillas) with cooking spray.
- Layer the bottom of the pan with a tortilla.
- Add 1/3 of the taco mix onto the first layer.
- Top with 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Add another tortilla, followed by 1/3 of the taco mix and 1/3 of the shredded cheese.
- Repeat one more time to use the last tortilla, taco mix, and cheese.
- Bake 15-20 minutes until cheese is melted and edges are slightly browned.
Rapunzel liked this with sour cream added, but I enjoyed mine as is. Feel free to add a side dish or use as a complete meal.
Don’t forget to watch for my bread bowl recipe!